Saturday, April 09, 2005

Whereabouts

I happen to be in south Georgia at the moment. And now I've got to prepare watercolour paper for my journey to Grand Turk Island. I've been so busy on other projects (writing, learning Final Cut Pro for a documentary film on nutrition) that I haven't done any painting since November 2004. It'll be good to wet the brushes again.

Loren Carnahan called the other day to say Jenny, his wife and owner of my beloved Osprey Beach Hotel, needed copy for an ad to run in a European travel magazine. "Send me points," I said. He emailed me something I wouldn't dare re-write:

"THE AUTHENTIC CARIBBEAN EXPERIENCE

"In Grand Turk, we value friendliness, gentleness, and calm. If you're in a hurry or need everything to run on a Swiss train schedule, you will miss the point of being here. Remember,... the song "Don't Worry, Be Happy" was written by our neighbor in Jamaica. The quality of your enjoyment here will be directly related to how much you are able to leave at home. Come and linger over our fresh foods and famously oversized drinks that always take longer to prepare and serve than they should. Leave your shoes, daytimer, watch, and cell phone at home. Yes, you can still surf the net or check stock quotes and emails if you must, but remember our strong suit...Friendliness, Gentleness, Calm."

1 Comments:

Blogger Jule said...

Nice blog. It takes a great writer to see when something should be revised but real talent to be able to recognize when something shouldn't be rewritten.

Let us know how your painting goes.

I'm a writer and I dabble with paints here and there also.
Indigo_poet
(cafeofwords.blogspot.com)

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home